The biggest news of the week in DC Comics was the announcement of the artists and writers who are going to be taking over some of DC’s most popular comic titles when they’re relaunched in June under an event named DC Rebirth.
If you’re anything like me, you might have questions, and I’ll do my best to answer those questions for you here.
Relaunch v Reboot
DC are being very clear that this is a relaunch and not a reboot. Personally, I thought the two were synonymous previously and I thought we were just taking semantics. After all, the titles in the relaunch will be starting back at #1, so I was left scratching my head until I did some research.
Perhaps some of you may judge me for not knowing the difference outright, but I am in the business of “no question is a stupid question” and in the interest of sharing what I know to others who have the same thoughts, let me clarify for you the difference in the comic book world:
A relaunch in the comic world refers to when a series is re-started with new numbering (i.e. from issue #1) and usually involves a new creative team while maintaining existing continuity.
A reboot in the comic world refers to restarting a series (also would involve new numbering), however there are little to no ties to the previous series and no continuity. For example, The New 52 was a reboot with origin stories being re-told without any ties to the old series.
Why are DC doing this?
Just like anything, sometimes you find yourself off course. Which is what DC said was happening to them. The New 52 happened in 2011 with the best of intentions, but DC have said themselves that in hindsight maybe not everything about it went perfectly.
The writers came together to talk about what it was about each of these characters that they loved the most. What were the traits and strengths of each character that made them as iconic as they are? They worked hard to perfect this, and the outcome of this work is DC Rebirth. The writers want to be able to do better, to showcase the characters that we know and love and to represent them in ways that are better than maybe they’re being represented currently.
Also, sales. I’m cynical.
What titles can we expect and who are the new creative teams?
This is the exciting part!! So many titles starting back at #1. So many incredible artists and writers coming on board. I already know that from June onwards, I will be spending up on these new titles.
Here’s a list of all of the new ongoing titles and new creative teams (I’ve taken out the one-shots)! Let’s list off the facts first and then I’ll tell you what I am personally excited for:
- Aquaman – Dan Abnett and Brad Walker with art by Walker, Jesus Merino And Phil Briones
- Batman – Tom King with art by David Finch, Mikel Janin
- All-Star Batman – Scott Snyder with art by John Romita Jr., Jock, Sean Murphy
- The Flash – Josh Williamson with art by Carmine DiGiandomenico, Neil Googe
- Green Arrow – Ben Percy with art by Otto Schmidt, Juan Ferreya
- Green Lanterns – Sam Humphries with art by Robson Rocha, Ardian Syaf
- Superman – Peter J. Tomasi, Pat Gleason with art by Doug Mahnke, Pat Gleason
- Wonder Woman – Greg Rucka with art by Liam Sharp, Nicola Scott
- Action Comics (will continue numbering at #957) – Dan Jurgens with art by Patrick Zircher, Tyler Kirkham, Stephen Segovia
- Detective Comics (will continue numbering at #934) – James Tynion IV with art by Eddy Barrows, Alvaro Martinez
- Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps – Rob Venditti with art by Ethan Van Sciver, Rafa Sandoval
- Justice League – Bryan Hitch with art by Tony Daniel, Fernando Pasarin
- Nightwing – Tim Seeley with art by Javi Fernandez, Marcus To
- Batgirl – Hope Larson with art by Rafael Albuquerque
- Batgirl & The Birds of Prey – Julie Benson, Shawna Benson with art by Claire Roe
- The Hellblazer – Simon Oliver with artist TBA
- Red Hood & The Outlaws – Scott Lobdell with art by Dexter Soy
- The Super-Man – Gene Luen Yang with art by Viktor Bodganovich
- Titans – Dan Abnett with art by Brett Booth
- Cyborg – John Semper with art by Will Conrad, Paul Pelletier
- Deathstroke – Christopher Priest with art by Carlo Pagulyan, Igor Vitorino, Felipe Watanabe
- Harley Quinn (same creative team remains!) – Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner with art by Chad Hardin, John Timms
- Justice League America – Creative team TBA
- Suicide Squad – Rob Williams with art by Jim Lee, Philip Tan
- Batman Beyond – Dan Jurgens with art by Bernard Chang
- Blue Beetle – Keith Giffen with art by Scott Kolins
- Supergirl – Steve Orlando with art by Brian Ching
- Superwoman – Phil Jimenez with art by Phil Jimenez, Emmanuela Lupacchino
- Super Sons – Chris Burns, Dennis Culver with art by Jorge Jimenez
- Teen Titans – Ben Percy with art by Jonboy Meyers
- Trinity – Francis Manapul with art by Francis Manapul, Clay Mann
Phew! Wow right?!
What am I excited for?
Oh my god, I am excited for so many of these. This is what I needed after losing a fair amount of interest in DC titles over the last 6 months. Perhaps its enough to revitalise my enthusiasm for books I once loved.
The series I am most looking forward to seeing is of course Batgirl. I stopped reading Batgirl after not enjoying the creative team that took over from Gail Simone. Except Babs Tarr, she’s delightful. But the writers had me hating the series and I just couldn’t push through it. The irony isn’t lost on me that they have Rafael Albuquerque as the artist on this title, and I love it! Rafael Albuquerque is the artist who did that variant cover for Batgirl 40. Hated by some, loved by many. He’s incredible. I’m definitely buying this!
Here’s a sneak peek at the art for Batgirl:
I’m also REALLY looking forward to Wonder Woman. Greg Rucka is back! I couldn’t contain my excitement for this. Again, I gave up on Wonder Woman after Brian Azzarello left because I couldn’t deal with the new writing team. I know now that Wonder Woman will be in safe hands with Greg coming back.
How beautiful does it look?!
I am also thrilled to see that largely nothing changes with the Harley Quinn title, because Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner are perfect for this title.
Lastly, I have to mention Suicide Squad. I actually really liked The New 52 reboot of it, and now they have my all time favourite artist Jim Lee on board, so I am really looking forward to this. I hope it’s written well!
Other titles I am definitely going to be picking up in addition to the few I’ve mentioned:
- All-Star Batman
- Batgirl & The Birds of Prey
- Harley Quinn
- The Flash
- Green Arrow
Personally, I am super excited about this relaunch. It gives me hope for the best. 🙂
What are your thoughts and what titles are you excited for?
Melissa / holybatgirl